Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Mom's Fear : When Baby Falls Down the Stairs

Baby Z

   A day ago I posted on my FB page about how my 9 month old could easily climb the stairs within a minute. I was so proud and gay about it. Baby Z has now improved on his motor skills. I could tell that he's a perfect climber. He taps on the stairs first then climbs his way up the stairs. I guess he's curious on what he would see on the second floor. 


   Then, this afternoon something terrible happened.  Baby Z fell down the stairs. I blame myself  for trusting on my mother's instinct that I can be attentive of him every minute. I feel so horrible. Whenever, I watch news on TV about some babies or kids having accidents, I would often say a nasty comment about how irresponsible their parents are. I never imagined that my own baby/kid would be on the same scenario.


   I was cooking our lunch when M (my pre-schooler) was playing on the second floor (where his toys are located). Our kitchen is also located on the second floor. (I actually don't know what the owner of the apartment thought of when he was building this house) Baby Z was on the living room and was on his walker. Then, I saw him climbing out of his walker and climbing the stairs. I immediately went down and placed him back to his walker. He did the whole thing again thrice. I was busy cooking and it was hard for me to go back and forth, so I decided to place him on the second floor together with my son M. I was confident enough that I can be attentive of them while I was cooking. (Worst decision ever). I was cooking and simultaneously checking on the boys, who were busy on their toys.  

   I was mixing something on the cooking  pot, when I heard a crash. Baby Z fell down. It was the worst scene ever. He was still on his walker and was unconscious. I rushed to him and carried him and then he cried. He looked pale. It was the first time I saw him pale. I was so scared that I wanted to cry. But, I held back my tears because all I wanted for him was to be okay and that time M was also so worried. I woke up my hubby, who was sleeping and told him that we need to rush Baby Z to the emergency because he looks pale and he looks sleepy. He carried him and I was praying. Soon after, his normal color went back, but he looked tired. My hubby told me that he was okay , he needed to rest and be fed. So, I went on breastfeeding him. He fed and slept. He was sleeping soundly. He had a bump on his forehead. Other than that, he looked okay. I checked on the internet for same scenarios. I also remembered what my nurse colleague told me. She told me that if a baby vomits after a fall within 24 hours, it's the right time to rush him/her to the hospital.

    When Baby Z woke up after his sleep, he was on his active self again. He was smiling and laughing. He was crawling again and eating. My fears were gone now. 


They say that babies are flexible and most of them would encounter such scenarios. I also remember M falling down the bed when he was 2 months old and remembered that he fell down the stairs numerous times.  He was always fine after every incident and would only get minor wound/scratch/bump. I think I got too scared with Baby Z because it was his first accident. Whew. I feel more relieved now because he is doing well and is soundly sleeping. But, we would still be observing him within the next 2 days. 


ALERT!!! 
When to call a doctor? 
* Most head injuries are treated at home, but when you see any of the following symptoms, better call the doctor or rush him/her to the hospital. 
  • When your child won't stop crying.
  • When your child is unresponsive.
  • When your child has a big cut on his head or face that requires stitches.
  • When the bleeding won't stop even after applying pressure on the wound.
  • When your child landed onto a hard surface headfirst .


Sources:
http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/childhood-injuries/head-injuries-in-children.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Accidents-to-children-in-the-home/Pages/Introduction.aspx



Till next time! 


Got some comments to tell? Share it with me!



Thanks,









No comments:

Post a Comment